Saturday, December 13, 2008

First Full Day in Guangzhou

We love Shamian Island!!

The weather here is great, the buildings are beautiful and of course the people are very nice. Not as much staring here!

We completed all of the paperwork and did the Medical visit was a breeze. Weight,Height and a cursory glance and you are done.... We did realize that we don't have Aric's vaccination record and I would definitely like to have that.

We were given a lot of information from throughout his earlier years with pictures. That is awesome and we will have to have this translated.

We ate at a traditional Cantonese Chinese restaurant a few doors down from the hotel. This was an experience. When you walk in there are several tanks with Lobster, fist, Conch, Snail and at the far end there were 2 snakes in a tank and they were fighting and biting each other.

They seem to use every part of an animal - nothing goes to waste. I am an almost vegetarian as it is. If I think about what it is while/before I eat I can't eat it. Well small pigeons full size on the plate cooked. The whole pig - face and all. Duck whole..... We did try some different items, not to far out there.
Oh and they charge for tea for everyone at the table wether you drink tea or not. They also charge for napkins,which is a wet one indivually wrapped. And they served us a pickled vegetable dish and you get charged for this. Just an FYI for those traveling soon.

Lots of stores to shop at and we did a bit today. They are very nice, I don't like the haggling poriton of this. I was told by another Adoptive parent that if you go over the bridge into Guandong that the prices are cheaper than here. We have a free day tomorrow so we are going over the bridge!

We finished the day with a late dinner at Cow and Bridge - the menu is extensive! I was really enjoying my Spring Roll until I saw an unidentified piece of meat - I know I am a weirdo about it, but I didn't and don't know what it was. Oh well....

Off to bed soon, gotta get the boys down.

Sorry I couldn't post what I got - they are Christmas presents - right kids?? :)

3 comments:

sierrasmom said...

I can't believe I will be there in a little over 3 weeks!!! Thanks so much for posting on your blog so I can follow along!!!!
Kathie

The Noble's said...

Dave, Joy, Alex, and Aric,
We are so excited for you guys!! We anxiously await your posts and pictures. Aric is beautiful!! It sounds like the boys are getting along great. Antonio can’t wait to catch up with his buddies.

We can’t wait to meet Aric and hear all of the stories. Isn’t China awesome? Joy, take a walk on the wild side and eat some mystery dishes.

We love you guys,
Nick and Wendy

Bobbie* said...

And tomorrow is the Safari Park. LOL Yes, I am just so excited thinking about how much your boys are going to love it.
I am so glad to read about all the neat things. Once you are home and beginning to get over the jet lag, that's when you begin missing the adventures. So it is wonderful to be sharing in yours through your blog.
:o)*